Microsoft Office Encountered An Error During Setup – How To Fix
If you are trying to install a new version or a fresh installation on your system that had Office previously installed on it, you can end up with the message which says “Microsoft Office (Professional Plus 2013/2016) Encountered An Error During Setup”. This could be really frustrating as there is no accompanying error code that you can search and look into the Microsoft community or reach out the official support to get further help.
Why Am I Seeing This Error Message?
There can be various reasons which can lead to the error message “Microsoft Office Professional 2016 Encountered An Error During Setup” (or whichever version you are trying to install). Some of the prominent causes for this error include:
- Your system still has some older version of the same Office program that you are trying to install.
- There are remnants on your hard drive from the previously installed Office program.
- Any virus or malicious program may block some the Office from installing it may affect certain important installation files.
- There might be configurations in Local Security Policy or the antivirus application that may lead to the error
- The firewall and proxy settings of your system can sometimes block a few of the Microsoft Office installation features.
Dealing With ‘MS Office Encountered An Error During Setup’
Try the following troubleshooting steps mentioned below in proper order to help you get rid of that irritating error message.
- Scan Your System To Remove Any Malware Or Virus: To get started with the troubleshooting procedure, open up your Windows Defender or Antivirus Software to run a quick scan for any potential threat that might be causing the error in Microsoft Office setup.
- Open the Start tab and search for Windows Defender
- Select the relevant option to open up the Windows Security window.
- Select the Virus & Threat protection option and click on Scan now.
- Wait for the scan to complete and take suggested actions against any found threats or virus.
Note: Depending on your Windows version, the above options may be slightly different. So do not worry if anything doesn’t look as suggested.
- Uninstall And Remove Any Previous Versions: If your system has some older versions of the Office app, you need to uninstall it completely.
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel.
- Click on Programs > Program and Feature.
- From the list of available programs, search for Microsoft Office to locate any older versions.
- If found, select it and click Uninstall.
- Confirm to remove the older Office version.
If you are having any trouble with the above procedure, read more about uninstalling Office on the official support page.
- Remove Any Remnant Files Manually: Sometimes, certain files are not removed even after successful uninstallation process. In such cases, it is suggested to manually r3emove all those remaining files.
- Right- click on the Start button, then select Run.
- In the opened window, type %temp% to open up the Temp folder.
- Search for Microsoft Office and delete all those files/folders.
- Use The Official Activation Troubleshooter Application: In case you are facing the above issues with programs such as Office Home and Student 2016, Office Home and Business 2016, Office Professional 2016, or any other such app, you can download the Activation Troubleshooter for Windows PCs and can fix activation errors for Office. Once downloaded, locate the file in the downloaded folder. Now double-click on the officeact.diagcab to run the easy fix tool and follow the next steps as prompted by the tool.
This should hopefully remove the error message ‘Microsoft Office Encountered An Error During Setup’ and allow you to install the Office suite. If you are still unable to get through the error, reach out to the official support page of Office for some more solutions or ask about your problem on the Microsoft community.